DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Thotally Thom

Good morning, and welcome to what I thought was Friday but is allegedly Wednesday morning.

I have to open with a confession today. Hannah and I have failed in our New Year's resolution to start working out. Like, "haven't so much as left the house before noon on Wednesdays and Fridays"-level failed. It's rough.

Which means we also subsequently failed in our goal of only crap-talking if we're at the gym — but luckily, none of that actually matters because scientists from the University of Pavia have concluded that gossiping is good for you!!

So go forth and practice self-care today — however you might choose to do that.

(Related note: My Twitter DMs are open.)

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• If you applied to work for The Daily Tar Heel this semester: Be on the lookout for our hiring emails today, and come by to check for your name posted on the front window of our office!
  • For all of you who will continue to be invested in UNC football past May 14 this year, the ACC just released its schedule for the 2017 season.
  • The Homestead Aquatic Center is closed for about three weeks following the largest pool leak the facility has ever had.
  • We had an N.C. State economics professor break down what it means for Trump to sign his executive order that removed the U.S. from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement.

IN UNC ROMANCES

Meet married couple Barbara Zemskova and Andrew Graczyk, UNC grad students who fell in love after meeting at practice for the martial art Aikido. Which is really cute and also a valid explanation for why both Hannah and I are still super single.

IN SHAME

A N.C. senator is proposing a bill to boost protection for former governors after Pat McCrory was subjected to a real-life, "Game of Thrones"-style walk of atonement. A crowd of people accosted the former governor and his wife, following them down an alley and chanting "Shame on you."

IN MANDATES

Despite his take-no-prisoners reputation from his thyme as speaker of the N.C. House, Thom Tillis is now speaking out against thotal conservatism in government. Even though Republicans won the presidency, the party doesn't have a conservative mandate.

IN FALSE "NEWS"

With fake news going nowhere fast, we should probably all establish what exactly it means. Here's a look at expert opinions of the term, what constitutes false news and how you can ID it on social media.