DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Thirst Amendment

Good morning, and happy Friday!

With one more week under our belts, it's about time for the first St. Anthony's party of the semester. To prepare, Swerve sat down with one of their party planners to figure out how the art frat chooses its quirky themes. I'd also like to throw my old list of party ideas into the hat for consideration.

Unfortunately, that list technically died with my MacBook last year when it took a cup of coffee to the face at Weaver Street Market. But from what we could collectively remember in the office and over Facebook messenger with my roommates, the options are:

• A party in which everyone wears their Kinsey scale number
  • A masquerave 
  • Thirst Amendment (for the MJ-School's annual First Amendment Day)
  • #FreePJ party, in honor of the hashtag that I sincerely misunderstood for the entirety of my first year at Carolina

First-years, sophomores and juniors, go forth and steal these for your own endeavors. Because I am a second-semester senior and am d-o-n-e hosting anything ever again.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Today is your last chance to apply to work with me and 200 (read: one and a half) of my closest friends! Applications are due at 4 p.m.
  • N.C. Sen. Jay Chaudhuri recently became the first Indian-American elected to North Carolina's state legislature. We caught up with him about what that distinction means to him and what his goals are for the job.
  • Susan Levy, the executive director of Orange County Habitat for Humanity, was just presented with the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Citizenship Award on Sunday.
  • North Carolina's foster care system is in serious crisis — with the Children’s Home Society receiving almost 3,000 referrals last year, and the system only having families for an estimated 364 kids.
  • A group of environmental leaders at UNC is hoping that mailing 2,017 letters to politicians will send a message to the president-elect and members of Congress.

IN DAILY CRIME

Some ambitious soul stole a $250 ladder from an alley on West Franklin Street Thursday. His younger sibling who will likely never come out from under his shadow stole a beer valued at $1 and then fled from Walgreens.

IN CAMPUS HOUSING

UNC's housing portal just got overhauled and is now pretty much exactly what it should've been to start with. The new tool lets students request what building, what kind of room and whom they want to live with — including the chance to swap rooms.

IN SPORTS FEATURES

Hillary Fuller is the sole senior, adoptive big sister and future mayor(?) of UNC women's basketball. As a redshirt senior, she's lived through one of the craziest five-year stretches in the team's history. And she's cool as hell for it.

IN THE KVETCHING BOARD

Today's relatable kvetch: "My professor told me I 'looked awake' as a compliment and I’d never felt so flattered." If you have one- or two-sentence complaints about nothing in particular and you want 20,000 people to see them, send them to us at opinion@dailytarheel.com for next week's Kvetching Board!

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

If you need an escape from reality, head over to Bull City Escape in Durham. Because nothing says "fun" like locking yourself in a room full of riddles with your friends, co-workers and family.