DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Larceny of a dog

Good morning!

Today is an historic occasion. For the first time in my collegiate career, I'm applying for tickets to a Carolina basketball game. I don't know what to do, where to go or which organs I'll need to cut out and sell on the black market to get them. But I am going to the Duke game in March, damn it.

And on the chance I don't get a ticket, Swerve is at least prepared to walk me through the seven stages of grief of not getting men's basketball tickets in the lottery. All bases covered.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• The Board of Aldermen stayed very on brand for Carrboro last night, meeting to discuss accommodating cyclists, dealing with neighborhood roosters and painting the Weaver Street crosswalk rainbow.
  • Today, we look back on the history of campus activism and, as UNC Entrepreneur in Residence Buck Goldstein put it, the tradition of students "being the conscience of the country."
  • A total of 84 people were detained in our state alone during the first major wave of Immigration and Customs Enforcement raids under the new administration.
  • The Durham-Orange Light Rail isn't stopping in Carrboro, but the town is helping to pay for it. The 17.7-mile-long project isn't slated to have any stops in western Orange County.

IN DAILY CRIME

On Monday, someone reported assault over the attempted larceny of a dog, and s-a-m-e. Another person reported larceny of the YoPo tip jar, which is actually just rude.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

The Meantime Coffee Co. is helping establish a gap year fellowship for second-semester sophomores who are tired of the daily grind. …too soon?

IN IMPORTANT LEGISLATION

The General Assembly is considering some key legislation this session — like ensuring Fayetteville is the official host of a fried chicken festival. What a fun and quirky way to announce HB2, teacher pay and teen pregnancy rates have been resolved.

IN OUR OPINION

Jokes aside, Gov. Roy Cooper's "compromise" implies the problem with HB2 is an economic one. It isn't.