DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Yelling and throwing money

Good morning!

Note: I'm admitting the following solely because 1) I have four weeks left in Chapel Hill and 2) I looked up the subscriber list and my professor doesn't receive DTH at a Glance.

Last semester, I somehow convinced myself it'd be fun to take an intro to coding class in my penultimate semester of college. I fell behind on the third day.

As our final project, we had to build an entire website essentially from scratch, with one extra feature that we hadn't learned in class and needed to take the initiative to learn. I decided to make my "extra feature" a $1,000 paywall to help hide the fact that my website was hideous and only vaguely functional. My instructor emailed me almost immediately and asked me to take it down, and then I think he gave me a B-.

But now, today, I meet that professor again as I learn that he's apparently a craft beer aficionado and creator of the BEER NC app. What a time.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Swerve also sat down with former DTHer/current superstar Sam Sabin to discuss her podcast, "Good Grief." Sam was the planned anecdote for today, but I couldn't think of any stories that were both funny and acceptable for an audience of 3,000-odd strangers.
  • Someone wrote a letter to the editor today fact-checking/clarifying a portion of our 2 Chainz review, and honestly I'm not even mad at it.
  • Berryhill Hall, which opened as a medical education building in 1970, is going to be replaced with a new building by 2022.
  • With 11.9 percent of University faculty members identified as Black, American-Indian or Hispanic, UNC ranks among the highest in faculty diversity among its peer institutions. And yeah, 12 percent is apparently "high."

IN DAILY CRIME

Someone shoplifted/partially drank two spiked lemonades at Food Lion on Wednesday. Another person was reported for "yelling, throwing money and blocking a sidewalk while intoxicated" at 1:06 p.m., also on Wednesday. Maybe it was actually the same person.

IN BREAKING NEWS

Chapel Hill parking meters now allow you to park for three hours instead of just two. In other breaking news, "parking superintendent" is a real job you can have, and our current one is named Brenda Jones.

IN STUDENT LIFE

I don't know when the time will come that I stop having to say "there really is a student organization for literally everything," but that day is not today. Everyone, meet the Carolina Jump Rope Club.

IN NORTH CAROLINA

Orange and Wake counties are apparently the healthiest in the entire state, according to a new report. Chalk it up to the ban on public smoking and the fact you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a park or greenway around here.