DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Scouts, bikes, fockey and Roy

Happy Tuesday, UNC! Here's the news: 

QUICK HITS

• As the Boy Scouts of America move to admit girls, former scouts at UNC weigh in on the recognition Girl Scouts received and what the decision will mean for both groups. 
  • This year is the first time since 1893 that there have been 10 consecutive hurricanes in the Atlantic. We look at what that means for today and for the future. 

FROM THE EDITORIAL BOARD

• OPINION: The “higher-ups” of media aren’t the only ones guilty of sweeping the 13 allegations of Weinstein harassing or abusing women under the rug.
  • OPINION: The UNC College Republicans and UNC Young Democrats' collaboration last week is a ray of light in our deeply divided — and divisive — political climate.

COUNTY NEWS

• New Hope Elementary School became Orange County’s lowest performing school in 2017, dropping from seventh to 12th. But community and school members are working to fix that.
  • “I think one of my favorite parts is when someone rides who hasn’t ridden in a really long time, and how excited they are to remember what it was like to ride a bike as a kid.” Carrboro mayor Lydia Lavelle led a community bike ride on Friday. 

IN SPORTS

• UNC field hockey had a good weekend — with wins against Louisville and VCU, they are now gearing up for Friday’s game against No. 2 Duke.
  • Current students weren't the only ones turning up at Late Night with Roy: three exciting basketball recruits for the 2018 and 2019 UNC Basketball teams were in the audience. 

Brandon Standley

Brandon Standley is the editorial managing editor of The Daily Tar Heel. He is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying public relations and psychology.