DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Making Adult Friends

Good Morning and Happy Friday!

Alright guys, I have a situation I need advice on, because this keeps happening to me. Making friends used to be super easy. 

"Hi, we both like blue crayons, let's pretend to be dragons." Boom. You'd be best friends for 10 years. Now, it's easier and less awkward to get a date than to ask someone to ... hang out? Go on a friend date? Grab coffee? Adults grab coffee, right?

I have encountered numerous situations like this in college, including in life right now. I just want to be able to give someone my number or ask them to hang out without it being weird. Or ... I guess ... give them my Snapchat? Isn't that what Millenials are doing these days?

While I spend the weekend figuring out how to make adult friends, check out a really important story and the background behind it.   

The Rundown

• Old tweets from current Student Body President Savannah Putnam spark conversation over social media use and offensive language. Take a look back through your Twitters, y'all. 

A Deeper Look

Savannah Putnam's offensive tweets bring to light an important discussion on social media and using offensive language. Here are some related stories on the consequences of inappropriate social media use and the controversy surrounding the n-word. 

Back in March, a video of UNC Field Hockey recruit saying the n-word on Instagram Live circulated social media. A statement was issued by her family apologizing for "using racist language."

Following this, the DTH editorial board published a piece about the use of the n-word and its significance in the Black community. It also spoke to the desensitization that has occurred in the age of social media. 

Missouri State University also had a case in March where a student government member was found to have used the n-word 232 times on Twitter along with other offensive words. 

Plan Your Weekend

Despite a possible thunderstorm on Saturday, the weather forecast for the weekend is looking pretty alright. Whether the weather is rainy or whether the weather is good, check out our weekend guide for fun activities to keep you busy both indoors and outdoors. 

"He rocks in the tree tops all day long Hoppin' and a-boppin' and singing his song"

Bobby Day