On The Wire

Colbert testifies in Congressional hearing

Stephen Colbert, the satirical conservative talk show host has taken on a new role — expert on migrant farm labor.

Colbert recently went before Congress to testify about the day he spent picking beans and packing corn with migrant farm workers as part of the United Farm Workers “Take Our Jobs” campaign.

The day had a lasting effect on Colbert, who now says he “breaks into a sweat at the sight of a salad bar”.
Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-San Jose, invited Colbert to testify because she also spent a day working alongside
Colbert and the migrant workers.

Reactions from members of Congress have been mixed on Colbert’s recent testimony.

While some have criticized Colbert’s comedic deviations from the script, others were pleased that Colbert was able to bring attention to an overlooked issue.

Colbert did offer some solutions to the issue of migrant workers’ rights. He called on Congress to approve funding for raising soil to waist level as to make picking easier.

Colbert brought up his hope that the AgJOBS Bill would improve working conditions—all the while, poking fun at the institution.

“Like many members of Congress, I haven’t read it,” he said.

The hearing did have moments of sincerity and Colbert did convey genuine interest in the plight of migrant workers.

Colbert said he hopes that action will be taken to help the situation of those “who can’t speak for themselves.” So do we.