On The Wire

Twitter unveils new ways of advertising

According to TechCrunch social media users are now posting more than 90 million tweets a day — more than 10,000 tweets per second.

Many advertisers are using Twitter’s growing popularity to their advantage.

The managers of the popular social networking website recently unveiled new money-making plans.

Only last week, Twitter added three new ways of advertising:

1) Promoted Accounts — based on shared interests, companies can pay Twitter to suggest that people follow the companies’ Twitter accounts.

2) Published ads on its applications — Twitter and the app-making companies split the revenue from the ads.

3) Future local business ads — Next year, local businesses will be able to buy Twitter ads. Twitter is working on a way to display those ads in relevant locations.

According to an article in The New York Times, Twitter CEO Dick Costolo said it would have 100 advertisers by the end of the year. Twitter started with six advertisers and currently has 40.

What you said:

Sarah Berlenbach, a junior political science major, said she wasn’t aware of how the social networking site brings in revenue.

Kayla Hill, a sophomore journalism major, said she understands the need for advertising on Twitter.

Travis Crayton, sophomore political science major, said he’s not phased by the new ads.

“I would click on them if I actually saw stuff I was interested in, but I just haven’t seen any so far,” he said.