On The Wire

College Republicans are hopeful

As the UNC College Republicans gather at the Top of the Hill to watch the election results roll in members of the College Republicans are confident that the Republican party will gain control of the house and acquire
more seats in the Senate.

Marc Seelinger, the executive vice chairman of the College Republicans at UNC, said he is not expecting a majority in the Senate but feels that more Republican votes will make the Democrats consider both sides.

“I expect that Republicans will take the house, Senate is iffy,” Seelinger said.

After U.S. Sen. Richard Burr’s victory was announced, the atmosphere became more enthusiastic. Burr, the Republican incumbent, defeated Democratic challenger Elaine Marshall and Libertarian challenger Michael Beitler.

Jason Sutton, executive vice chairman for the national College Republicans and the administrative
vice chairman for UNC College Republicans, said Richard Burr’s victory is not surprising.

“North Carolina is getting back to its Republican roots,” he said.

Sutton said the victory is a referendum on President Barack Obama and his handling of the economy.
“Hopefully this will mark a shift in the economy,” said Sutton.

Megan Johnson, a junior transfer student at UNC from California, said she’s hopeful that the Republican victories
will cause the White House to take another look at some of its policies.

“Burr’s victory is a reflection on the Democratic Congress which has so enthusiastically supported
Obama,” Johnson said.

The crowd’s support of Burr was marked by giant campaign posters across the room.

“He’s been a great public servant,” said Anthony Dent, chairman of the College Republicans. “This means we’ll
have another six years of a great senator.”

“It’s unbelievable,” said senior Greg Steele, treasurer of College Republicans. “When that turns red, this
marks a big change in the country. It’s going to be a big night for the Republicans.”

Josh Elliot, sophomore at UNC, was unsure of the pending results.

“So far, it is looking pretty good. I’m hoping for Lawson but realistically, it’ll be Price. He’s got a strong
Democratic support system.”