On The Wire

Schools work to foster relationships abroad

University graduates in the state are kicking it up a notch to compete in a more globalized economy.

Instead of simply moving out of their parents’ houses, an increasing number of graduates are moving abroad to begin the next phase of their lives.

In efforts to ease the transition for graduates seeking jobs abroad, N.C. State University has sought to strengthen its ties with Asian countries.

NCSU Chancellor Randy Woodson embarked Saturday on a journey to the continent, which will include visits to Hong Kong, China and South Korea. Woodson plans to meet with alumni, partner institutions and corporations located in these countries.

Woodson said in a statement that he is leaving to foster “mutually beneficial” relationships with various industries, such as biotechnology, entrepreneurship and mechanical engineering design.

There are also several NCSU alumni living in these areas who work for corporations like Samsung. Woodson said he hopes to strengthen international alumni networks to help NCSU students find employment.

UNC-CH has also focused on creating programs to help students attain global career experiences.

The growing network of international University alumni creates opportunities for students to find internships and employment abroad, said Katie Bowler, director of global relations for UNC-CH’s Center for Global Initiatives.

But before students seek international opportunities, the center prepares students for acclimating to a new culture abroad, she said.

“In the current marketplace that we have and the interrelationship between economies and world cultures, an awareness of world cultures is critical to success — whether you’re working abroad or here in the U.S.,” she said.

The University’s study abroad program and various cultural diversity programs on campus help students gain this perspective, Bowler said.

Tim Stiles, associate director for University Career Services, said studying abroad has inspired many students to pursue employment outside of the U.S.

Mary Withers, a senior journalism major, said she values the cultural perspective she gained from studying abroad in Spain.

Withers aims to travel globally in her anticipated career in journalism, which she says is a career that can be done in any part of the world.

In addition to the resources offered by the center, the Kenan-Flagler Business School also provides ways for students to gain internships or employment abroad.

The school’s STAR programs, or Student Teams Achieving Results, match student teams with local and foreign businesses to conduct consulting projects, said Shannon McKeen, executive director of global corporate relations for the business school.

Students go abroad for four months to consult with businesses as a part of the program. The businesses participating in the 2012 program are in Brazil, India, China and Thailand.

“Working abroad was a great experience for me early in my career because it broadened and diversified my perspective,” McKeen said.

“Working in a different culture and a different language was a terrific learning experience that was valuable to my career.”

Currently 4,000 University alumni live abroad, a number that will likely increase as UNC-CH expands its global programs, McKeen said.