Monday March 1st

Chris Hempson Sports Editor

Sports

Four Tar Heel alumni selected in NBA draft

It's not every day that an NBA legend compares himself to a league rookie. But that's exactly what happened with Tyler Hansbrough. After being selected as the 13th pick in the 2009 NBA Draft last Thursday Hansbrough found himself face to face with Indiana Pacers president and now his boss Larry Bird at an introductory conference for the team's fans.

Read More »
Sports

Brazil soccer in state of decline

I've accepted the fact that soccer might never catch on in the U.S. I've accepted that by screaming at Jozy Altidore to do something other than jogging he will henceforth begin walking. I've even accepted that the only time I will see Freddy Adu on camera is during a quick pan of the bench. But I cannot accept that the U.S. national team lost the Confederations Cup final to Brazil 3-2.

Read More »
Sports

Baseball: UNC comes home empty handed

It ended as it seemingly always had. For the past three seasons North Carolina had reached the pinnacle of college baseball. Crept so close to that ultimate yet elusive goal of a national championship. But on each successive try fate had other plans. So UNC would leave Omaha once more" empty-handed.

Read More »
After splitting two games with East Carolina earlier this season" UNC found success in its pitching ? allowing just four runs on the weekend.
Sports

Baseball: UNC dominates in series rout

It wasn't supposed to be this easy. Hyped as one of the top Super Regionals in the country the North Carolina-East Carolina series seemed bound to bring the drama.Instead the only thing many fans saw Sunday were curtain calls in a 9-3 UNC victory. There was one for ACC Player of the Year Dustin Ackley. Another for third baseman Kyle Seager. Two more for seniors Adam Warren and Garrett Gore.

Read More »
After beating Maryland" 8-7 on Friday night UNC had scored just three goals at the half against NU. Jenn Russell chipped in two in the game.
Sports

W. Lacrosse: UNC dominated in _ΒΆ nal

TOWSON Md. — They didn't know what to say. Coach Jenny Levy knelt on the sideline. Goalkeeper Logan Ripley turned and faced away from the field. Senior Amber Falcone walked back to the midfield circle. None of them could ever have fathomed that this would occur. That in the pinnacle of women's lacrosse the NCAA Championship they would match the worst loss in UNC history — a margin of 14.

Read More »

More articles »

Black History Month Edition