DTH at a Glance

Two weeks down — only 36 more.

Have you ever been out in public, seen someone being a hot mess and decided to document it on social media out of obligation to accurately record history for future generations? OK, well, I did it for the favorites. But still.

If you said yes, like me, you're not alone. Kelly Keegs, a woman after my own heart, witnessed a dramatic breakup while she was sitting on a plane in the middle of a runway. I guess Cosmic Cantina is a little less eventful, but I'd like to think Keegs and I still share a sacred bond, and here's why.

Last semester, my roommate and I had a tradition of going to Cosmic for burritos every Tuesday when I got home — regardless of whether that was at 10 p.m. or 3 in the morning. On this particular night, we headed out around 1 a.m. To our utter lack of surprise, we were the only people with enough missing dignity to be at Cosmic  —  the only people, that is, until Sarah and her friend (whom Sarah never openly named) got there. I knew from the moment Sarah took off her heels to walk to the ordering counter that this was going to be good. And they did not disappoint, sharing meaningful dialog like: "In high school, if I went to church even if I was hung over, my parents would buy me Cosmic as a reward." "How old were you?" "16."

It was truly a night to remember — at least for half of the parties involved.

QUICK HITS

• A report on Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools this week found suspensions in black students are 4.3 times more than their total representation in the student body.
  • Panhellenic sororities at UNC no longer have to abide by the former half of "No boys, no booze." Personally would've preferred it vice versa, but to each her own.
  • More and more students are skipping out on dorms their sophomore year and heading off campus early as part of the millennial agenda to mess everything up.
  • Chapel Hill is launching a community event to sit down for coffee and talk with a local police officer. It happens monthly, in case any of you are interested in going on more dates than I will this year.
  • UNC's Department of Public Safety just adopted a new K-9 officer. He trained for 275 hours for six weeks with no compensation outside some verbal praise and the occasional tennis ball — much like assistant editors at the DTH.

IN POLITICS AND GOVERNMENT

On a quick, serious note: Wednesday's shooting in Virginia is reigniting debate about media responsibility. Our thoughts and condolences are with the loved ones of Alison Parker and Adam Ward, two journalists killed during a live broadcast on Moneta, Va. In the wake of this shooting, media people are grappling with how to balance our personal and moral obligations with our responsibility to inform the public.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

A little-known pill can prevent HIV contraction, and you can get it at Campus Health. If taken every day like birth control, PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) can significantly reduce the chances of contracting HIV. And because HIV doesn't discriminate, PrEP is something everyone can consider adding to safe-sex practices.

IN CHAPEL HILL NEWS

A local organization is offering up its land to sustainable farming techniques from Burmese refugees. Transplanting Traditions partners with immigrants from Myanmar to offer them community and support in farming. Plus, some of the farmers are housekeeping and dining hall employees, in case you needed more reason from yesterday to admire everything they do.

IN THE BLOGS

The love of your life might have dumped you on the phone in Lenoir once, but at least it wasn't in person. Or like, on a plane. Like this Raleigh-based couple, we've all had some rough endings to romantic flings. And like my family's Thanksgiving last year, the entire crap storm was documented via live tweeting. How someone goes from awkward sobbing to awkward makeup making out in one plane ride is beyond me, but I'm sure glad it was recorded.