DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Meow-y Christmas

It’s official: I’ve given up on school and am ready to pursue my career as an overly festive cat lady.

I can see it now: me, my 10 kittens and my collection of 352 vintage Santa Claus garden gnomes, all living together in peace and harmony during the holiday season. No teachers. No finals. And most importantly, no stress.

Well, save for that one neighbor who competes with me every year in an attempt to prove she has the most impressive light show in the neighborhood—and honestly, I can see one of these dorm residents fulfilling that very role.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• Hallelujah! Students were able to learn more about the many different religions on campus at Monday night's FaithFest.
  • An Army appeals court's November decision to uphold the death sentence of a former Fort Bragg soldier is raising questions over the death penalty in military court.
  • Dwayne Pinkney was named the new chief financial officer and senior associate vice chancellor for UNC’s finance and administration department on Monday.
  • Owning plants makes first-year students feel more at home at UNC, and it’s super cute.

IN SRAT LIFE

The rules in sorority houses vary by campus, but some members feel they all share one thing in common: a culture of slut-shaming. After an N.C. State student published an article in the Washington Post that raised concerns about rules regarding male visitors in sorority houses, some members began questioning the fairness of those rules. While some believe the regulations exist for safety reasons, others feel they only prevent women from having the social equality that male fraternity members have.

IN WATER AND WASTE

Some neighborhoods in rural Wake County are drinking water contaminated by bacteria associated with human fecal matter. A new study conducted by UNC researchers showed some predominately African-American communities in the area — often called “donut holes” — lack access to the municipal water system while nearby predominately white neighborhoods do.

IN THE SECRET LIFE OF DORM PETS

Some students hide alcohol in their dorms; others hide small albino hedgehogs. Everybody has a preference, I guess. Although the housing contract strictly prohibits students from keeping pets, not a single semester goes by that a community director doesn’t have to ask a resident to remove an animal from buildings. Many RAs act surprised, but honestly, after Squirrel Girl, they should know that anything is possible.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition