Three Washington players to look out for in UNC's second-round matchup

Coby White Louisville ACC
First-year guard Coby White (2) pushes pass defenders for a layup against Louisville in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament on Thursday, March 14, 2019 at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, N.C. UNC defeated Louisville 83-70 to advance to the semifinals.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Hours before the No. 1 seed North Carolina men's basketball team knocked off No. 16 seed Iona, Washington similarly put the clamps on Utah State to earn a spot in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

The No. 9 seed Huskies (27-8) defeated the No. 8 seed Aggies, 78-61, behind senior Noah Dickerson's double-double. The 6-foot-8 forward had no trouble with Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year Neemias Queta and torched him for 20 points and 12 rebounds.

It was certainly not Dickerson's first big-time performance of the season. In 35 games this year, he is averaging 12.4 points and 7.5 rebounds. 

He's had eight double-doubles this season, including a 24-point, 17-rebound outburst in a win over Texas A&M on Nov. 20.

However, Dickerson is not the only player whom UNC (28-6) needs to watch out for on Sunday afternoon. Here are two more names to know for the Huskies.

Jaylen Nowell

Nowell, a sophomore, has been one of the top guards in the country all season long. The Pac-12 Player of the Year put up 19 points, five assists and five rebounds on just seven field goal attempts in the win over Utah State on Friday night.

On the season, the 6-foot-4 guard leads Washington in points (16.3) and assists (3.2). He's also shooting 50.1 percent from the field and an impressive 44.7 percent on 3-point shots.

Matisse Thybulle

Thybulle is a two-time Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, and for good reason. The 6-foot-5 senior guard is averaging 3.5 steals and 2.1 blocks in 35 games this season. 

Against Utah State, he kept up his billing as a top defender, evidenced by his five steals and three blocks. He also scored 10 points, right above his average of 9.3 on the season.

Although not a huge threat as a scorer, Thybulle has still scored in double figures 15 times this year.

@christrenkle2