UNC men's basketball to play at Carmichael Arena against Wofford in December

Roy Williams
Head coach Roy Williams answers questions during a press conference on Saturday, March 23, 2019.

Back like they never left.

The North Carolina men’s basketball team will play its first regular season game at Carmichael Arena since 1986 when it hosts Wofford this season on Dec. 15. 

According to a press release, the location of the game was switched because the Dean E. Smith Center will be hosting December Commencement that same day.

“Due to Wofford’s playing schedule and Carolina’s travel schedule to Gonzaga, it was necessary to play the game on the 15th, but of course we knew that is the date of Commencement,” senior associate athletic director Clint Gwaltney said in the release. “We appreciate both Coach (Roy) Williams’ and Wofford’s flexibility in agreeing to move the game to another venue. It should be an outstanding environment in which to play that game.”

The Tar Heels defeated William and Mary, 80-72, in Carmichael in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament on March 16, 2010, but have not played a regular season game in the 6,822 seat arena since the Smith Center opened 33 years ago.

The last regular season men’s basketball game in Carmichael, which now plays host to UNC women's basketball, volleyball, gymnastics and wrestling, was a 90-79 victory over N.C. State on Jan. 4, 1986.

“Carmichael brings back great memories of my first eight years as an assistant to Coach Smith and the exciting game we played against William and Mary in 2010,” Williams said. “Wofford will bring an outstanding team and the environment will be electric. I’m sure it will be a tough ticket to get and a special day for everyone who is lucky enough to be there for that game.”

@ryantwilcox