Word on the Street: What are you most excited about this year for men and women’s basketball season?

20231013_Skvoretz_UNC-live-action-1280.jpg
UNC senior guard RJ Davis (4) receives the ball before a free throw during the scrimmage game at the ‘Live Action with Carolina Basketball’ event on Oct. 13, 2023, at the Dean E. Smith Center.

With UNC's men's and women’s basketball season right around the corner, students have a lot to say about what they are looking forward to in this upcoming season. 

University staff writer Zoe Sinclair asked students in the Pit: “What are you most excited about this year for men's and women’s basketball season?”

Ridha Masagazi, junior nutrition major

“I'm quite excited just for me to feel connected back to the school again because I feel like this year has been so busy to me, so I've just not been doing UNC events whatsoever. Basketball is the only time where I actually feel very connected. I'm excited for that school cheer.”

Alison Pan, junior nutrition major

“I'm just excited to see them play again because I'm intrigued to see how it's changed since last year, and hopefully we’ll do better. I have high hopes.”

Corinna Collins, senior exercise and sports science major

“This basketball season, I am probably most excited to see all the new transfer talent on both teams. Especially, coming off of last year, I’m excited to see both teams improving, particularly our women’s team. Knowing that women's basketball is, sort of, so in the spotlight, this cultural cycle, I just kind of want to see our players shine.”

Ayush Subramanian, first year computer science major

“I am excited for the Duke basketball game, and also just going with my friends and seeing what campus life is during those games.”

Hubert Wood, senior

“What I'm most looking forward to about basketball season is probably just a lot of new blood on the team. I think it's gonna be a really good opportunity for people to kind of restart. New faces, so hopefully we can get some more energy. Hopefully some more leadership, hopefully some more scoring and some more wins.”

Raquel Grant, first year media and journalism major

“I'm really excited because it's been hard to get everyone together — all my friends that I've made — to do stuff together, but it seems like this would be a way to do it.”

Daisey Samayoa, junior human development and family science major

“What I'm most excited about for both seasons because I really liked to attend the women's and men's basketball team games, is the same thing each year: just seeing how everyone gets together. It’s just like the student spirit.”

Larissa Zang, senior biology and exercise and sport science major

“Mainly the Duke game, the men’s UNC-Duke. Hopefully, we win this year; I really want to rush Franklin.” 

Andy Little, senior english and comparative lit major

“I am most looking forward to actually getting to go because I am a COVID kid so this would be my first big opportunity to go before I graduate. I’m excited for that.”

Emma Gates, senior environmental sciences major

“I'm most excited about getting to go. It is my first one because I'm also a COVID kid, and I've never been to one even though I'm a senior.”

Sophia Freeman, sophomore public policy major

“I’m just really excited for the atmosphere. I feel like everyone gets super excited for that and it's just a great kind of thing we have going on. A lot of tradition. I'm hoping we'll be able to rush Franklin. I remember last year, we were so close.”

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com

More in Sports

More in Student Life

More in University