No. 9 UNC men's basketball falls to No. 14 Kentucky, 87-83, in blue blood shootout

Lewis-UNC-UK-BBALL-23-16.jpg
UNC graduate guard Paxson Wojcik (8) defends the basket at State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday Dec. 16, 2023.

ATLANTA — The No. 9 North Carolina men’s basketball team (7-3) fell to No. 14 Kentucky (8-2), 87-83, on Saturday in the CBS Sports Classic at State Farm Arena.

After the game, Kentucky head coach John Calipari praised the Tar Heels, calling them a "Final Four level team".

"I feel like we're good, but we've got a long way to go," UNC head coach Hubert Davis said.

After going 0-6 from three last week against UConn, UNC graduate guard Cormac Ryan had 20 points on 4-7 3-point shooting. Senior guard RJ Davis, who had averaged nearly 27 points in the past five contests, had 27.

Eight Wildcats notched seven points or more to bolster a balanced scoring attack, led by Kentucky’s first-year backcourt trio in Rob Dillingham, Reed Sheppard and D.J. Wagner, who combined for 42 points.

"Kentucky was tougher than us in the trenches," Hubert Davis said when asked about UNC being out-rebounded by the Wildcats, 42-32.

First-year Wildcat forward Aaron Bradshaw recorded a dunk and three to help Kentucky build an early 9-4 lead at the first media timeout. The blueblood bout wasted no time in amping up the intensity — UNC graduate guard Paxson Wojcik was assigned a flagrant one after a hard foul on Dillingham’s fastbreak opportunity. 

Ryan got going with a 3-pointer and two layups. Sheppard provided a spark off Kentucky’s bench, pickpocketing UNC rookie Elliot Cadeau and hitting the ensuing transition 3-pointer to put the Wildcats up 10.

A chaotic sequence consisting of chasedown blocks for both teams ended with Ryan sinking a corner trey to trim the lead to five, forcing a Kentucky timeout. The Wildcats led at the half, 40-38.

Ryan scored the Tar Heels’ only points with a layup and 3-pointer to open the second frame, but Kentucky’s 12 points built a 52-43 lead. Both teams hit their offensive stride, with Ryan hitting another three and Kentucky’s Tre Mitchell connecting on a three and interior finish over UNC’s Jae’Lyn Withers.

North Carolina secured its first — and short-lived — lead off graduate center Armando Bacot’s free throws. Dillingham scored four quick points, forcing Hubert Davis to call a timeout. RJ Davis hit back-to-back threes to give UNC life in the final minutes, but Kentucky’s offensive rebounds coughed up extra possessions.

The game all but ended when the Tar Heels needed a three with 11 seconds to play, but Cadeau passed it to Ryan, who wasn’t looking. Davis tried to collect the loose ball, but committed a backcourt violation.

UNC will travel to Charlotte to face No. 11 Oklahoma in the Jumpman Invitational on Dec. 20. Tip-off is at 9 p.m.

"The only game circled on the calendar is the next game," Ryan said.

@danielhwei

Daniel Wei

Daniel Wei is a 2023-24 assistant sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a senior writer. Daniel is a junior pursuing a double major in business administration and economics.