No. 7 UNC men's hoops takes down No. 9 Duke in regular season finale, 84-79

dukembball_crochik-1.jpg

UNC senior guard RJ Davis (4) dribbles the ball during the men’s basketball game versus Duke on Saturday, March 9, 2024, at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

DURHAM, N.C. — Graduate guard Cormac Ryan scored a career-high 31 points to help the No. 7 North Carolina men’s basketball team (25-6, 17-3 ACC) defeat No. 9 Duke (24-7, 15-5 ACC), 84-79, at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Saturday evening.

"One thing about Cormac is," senior guard RJ Davis said, "shooters shoot."

It was the 50th time UNC and Duke clashed as top-10 teams, with UNC now leading 26-24. With the win, UNC clinched its first ACC regular season title since 2019. In the last 20 years, UNC has now played Duke nine times when the Tar Heels needed a victory to finish first in the ACC — outright or a share — and have won all nine games. It is the first regular season title for UNC in the Hubert Davis era.

"We didn't want to share it, [coach Hubert Davis] didn't want to share it," junior forward Harrison Ingram said. "His energy rubbed off on us from the get-go."

The Tar Heels jumped out to a 15-4 lead in the first four minutes behind a pair of post-ups from Harrison Ingram and three triples from Ryan, forcing Duke head coach Jon Scheyer to call a timeout. North Carolina extended its lead to 30-15 by the under-8 timeout after RJ Davis got free for a 3-pointer.

With Duke sixth man Caleb Foster out with a lower body injury, the Blue Devils’ rotation was stretched thin; UNC had 12 bench points in the first half compared with Duke’s two. Blue Devil guard Jared McCain and Ryan led all scorers at half with 11 and 10 points, respectively. UNC shot 50 percent in the first half, including 4-for-10 from downtown.

Filipowski got going in the second half, scoring 12 of Duke’s first 15 points. The Blue Devils cut UNC’s lead to one point, but North Carolina went on a quick 7-0 run off transition baskets. Ryan pushed the Tar Heels’ pace with a 3-pointer, four free throws and a mid-range jumper, allowing UNC to hover around its double-digit lead.

"I just want to be remembered for [going] 17-3 in the league," Ryan said. "I want to be remembered for taking not just a share, but the whole thing of the regular season title."

With UNC up 72-66 and under five minutes left, Ryan hit a 3-pointer and shushed the crowd. Filipowski answered with a three of his own. The Blue Devils forced a key turnover through a shot clock violation, but Ryan hit another three on the next possession. Duke forward TJ Power answered with a corner three.

Elliot Cadeau was quiet for most of the night, but with the shot clock winding down and 41 seconds left to play, the rookie guard careened in a long circus two-pointer to put UNC up by eight. The Blue Devils pulled within three points in the final six seconds, but Ryan’s free throws iced the game.

"We got a lot of older guys, mature guys that have been in these situations," graduate center Armando Bacot said. "We know it's a game of runs and we may go down and they may come back, but we just had to stay poised."

The Tar Heels will play in the ACC tournament quarterfinals in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, March 14 as the top seed.

@danielhwei

Daniel Wei

Daniel Wei is a 2023-24 assistant sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a senior writer. Daniel is a junior pursuing a double major in business administration and economics.