UNC guard Seth Trimble announces he will enter the transfer portal

LEWIS-SWEET16-0328-full2-12.jpg
UNC sophomore guard Seth Trimble (7) guards an Alabama basketball player in Crypto.com Arena on Thursday, March 28 during UNC’s appearance in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 against Alabama. UNC lost 89-87.

UNC men’s basketball guard Seth Trimble has entered the transfer portal, per his Instagram on Tuesday afternoon.

The sophomore averaged 5.2 points and 2.1 rebounds for the Tar Heels in the 2023-24 season. Known as the team's go-to sixth man, he logged 17.1 minutes per game and was used as a spark off the bench. Usually tasked with defending opposing teams’ primary ball-handlers, Trimble also saw an uptick in all shooting metrics in his sophomore campaign — including an improvement from 16.7 to 41.9 percent from long range.

In UNC’s season-ending loss to Alabama in the Sweet 16, Trimble scored eight points in 11 minutes of playing time. He only played four minutes in the second half.

LEWIS-SWEET16-0328-full-33.jpg
UNC sophomore guard Seth Trimble (7) drives toward the basket in Crypto.com Arena on Thursday, March 28 during UNC’s appearance in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 against Alabama. UNC lost 89-87.

After the defeat, Trimble emphasized the way the team gelled last season.

“You know, we really became Carolina basketball again,” he said. “We set the standard for these next couple of years. It’s sad this group will never get to play again.”

The Menomonee Falls, Wis. native was a 4-star recruit ranked 49th in the Class of 2022 by ESPN. Impactful showings from Trimble this past season include scoring 10 points on 5-of-9 shooting in UNC’s 93-84 home win over Duke and knocking down both of his 3-point attempts in an 8-point showing against Alabama in the Sweet 16.

Currently, UNC's guard rotation includes Elliot Cadeau and reigning ACC Player of the Year RJ Davis, who can still elect to use his final year of eligibility. Incoming first-year Ian Jackson, a 5-star recruit, also headlines the Tar Heel backcourt for the upcoming season.

Shelby Swanson contributed reporting.

@danielhwei

Daniel Wei

Daniel Wei is a 2023-24 assistant sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a senior writer. Daniel is a junior pursuing a double major in business administration and economics.