DTH at a Glance

Please buy my memoir I haven't written yet.

A local writer, Aruna Gurumurthy, recently published "DIYA: A Megawatt Approach to Change," a self-care book based off roughly 300 Facebook posts. It documents her life realizations and advice from adolescence to adulthood.

A little known fact about me (only 70 percent of the office knows!) is that one of my biggest dreams is to publish a memoir to offer advice on navigating life toward adulthood. I'd also like to throw in passive aggressive jabs at boys and quirky, inappropriate grammar tips. That's about all I have planned, but my book has had a name for almost a year now. Be on the lookout for "Drunk and White: The Elements of Style" coming out in the next five years.

Also, I intend to partially refer back to my anecdotes from "at a Glance" to help me write it. So thank you, all.

A couple reminders:

1) We won't be publishing for the next two days due to the fact that the universe cancels the news over fall break. Sorry, we don't make the rules. But newsworthy things resume on Monday.

2) If you're tired of me and would rather receive just-the-facts, straightforward news, think about subscribing to our new DTH Headlines newsletter.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• UNC football prepares to face off against the Demon Deacons. They allow fewer than 300 yards per game, among other statistics that would sound intimidating if I knew what they meant.
  • The town wants to put in more affordable housing for people living in Chapel Hill, but it might mean cutting into land meant for the cemetery.
  • Reese News Lab, a media startup lab and my former summer internship, outsources transcribing work to Nepal to make meeting minutes from the General Assembly searchable.
  • Use of the Unsung Founders monument as a table or bench sparked heated debate on social media this week. If you don't know what the monument is, think "awkward, Ministry of Magic-esque display near Silent Sam."

IN NEW-AGE LITERATURE

A local author wrote a self-care book derived from hundreds of Facebook posts. The book, "DIYA: A Megawatt Approach to Change," focuses on Aruna Gurumurthy's transition to grownup-ness. With all the crap we have going on in our lives, it's easy to let the world get to you. But she promises you'll end up in a situation where you can find happiness.

IN STATE NEWS

Public schools are experiencing a teacher exodus from North Carolina. According to a 2014-15 report, more than 14,000 educators have left their jobs. A UNC professor said the trend could be "a disincentive" for students wanting to be educators. Or it's the fact that every teacher I've ever had made me swear not to go into teaching.

IN OBLIGATORY, SEASONAL ACTIVITIES

The N.C. State Fair makes its inevitable return on Thursday. For a festival I associate this closely to N.C. State and turkey shoots, a LOT of planning goes into it. This year, the fair is back and better (?) than ever, boasting new mascots, new rides and new E-ZPasses to cardiovascular disease.

IN APOLOGIES TO COACH SPARKS

Because I'm an adult and own up to my mistakes: Yesterday, I called out Nicholas Sparks for only ever having straight, white couples from North Carolina in his books. It has come to my attention that his new book is actually about a straight, interracial couple in North Carolina. Sorry, Nick.

IN THE BLOGS

If you, too, traditionally wait until Oct. 30 to choose a Halloween costume, go as one of these obscure childhood TV characters. Honestly I chose this blog mainly because of the writer's use of the word "HalloQWEENS." But also 10/10 will go as Nigel Thornberry in case my "sexy crocodile hunter" idea falls through.