DTH at a Glance

If I met you at the ONA conference in 2015, please don't read this.

We can learn a lot from social media —  like how the people who interviewed me for NPR's social media desk stalked my Twitter and asked me what my deal was with Nicki Minaj.

Or you can learn from social media in the culturally appropriative, sensei-grasshopper kind of way. Like how social media teaches us all valuable life lessons. Carpe diem. Grab the bull by the horns. Slide into his DMs. All iterations of the same message.

If you're embarrassed to really take that advice to heart, just continue to live your life knowing that "meeting a guy at a conference and sliding into his DMs on LinkedIn two months later" is an actual thing I've done. If I can do that and admit it in public, you can do anything.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Teachers in Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools could be getting a raise if the board of education decides to add more than $4 million to the system's budget for next year.
  • The Tar Heel softball team slayed in Conway, S.C., on Wednesday, claiming a 6-3 win over Coastal Carolina.
  • The Hunt Institute might cut ties with the University, pending a Board of Trustees vote and following the recommendation a review on UNC centers and institutes last year.
  • If you're in the market for some self-help, check out the four commandments of life — as told by the unspoken rules of millennial social media.

IN INTERNATIONAL INCIDENTS

The Clef Hangers just performed for the president of Iceland. Because after you sing for POTUS, the only logical step to take next is Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson. The Clefs said it just took a phone call and two hours of waiting to get approval to see the actual leader of an actual country. What a world.

IN TEACHING

A UNC law professor just wrapped up her intro to fiction class at a women's prison. Tamar Birckhead said the class was both a sobering experience and a way to improve her students' confidence. Pretty cool for a program starting from what was more or less a book club.

IN THE NUMBERS

Chapel Hill just set aside $688,395 of the 2016 fiscal year budget for affordable housing. large sum of it will go to the Downtown Housing Improvement Corporation, which is developing senior citizen housing units called Greenfield Commons. Greenfield Commons expects to offer 69 units.

IN HIGHER EDUCATION

UNC currently doesn't offer any financial aid for undocumented students. For reference, even Texas considers undocumented immigrants for in-state tuition. Texas. In North Carolina, it's up to the Board of Governors and state legislature to decide whether we follow suit.