DTH at a Glance

Twenty-one more newsletters this academic year, but I'm not counting

I'm ashamed to say that over the past week and a half, I've found orange Solo cups in my bathroom, under a bush in my yard, in my house's gutter and behind my living room couch. I'm more ashamed to say the last party I threw with orange Solo cups was about a week before Halloween.

Which is probably part of why a group of UNC students have realized that in addition to being a small-scale ecological nightmare, plastic party cups are an ideal way to broadcast an important message.

With UNC producing about 100,000 Solo cups every year, they're essentially the most efficient vector for a college campus PSA, followed closely Joel James gifs and free T-shirt stands.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• As we all mentally, emotionally and spiritually prepare for Saturday, here is everything you need to know about Syracuse basketball.
  • More than 50 UNC-Chapel Hill faculty members have signed a statement denouncing North Carolina's passage of House Bill 2. UNC-system’s Association of Student Government also called an emergency meeting Monday to draft a resolution criticizing the law.
  • Read this piece from newsroom treasurer Alice Wilder on why you don't owe it to the world to share everything — just what you're comfortable with.
  • In response to House Bill 2, Chapel Hill Town Council unanimously passed two resolutions affirming the dignity of the town's LGBT residents.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

A group of UNC students is reinventing the red Solo cup to try to fight sexual assault on campus. The startup is called Carolina Conscious, and it's partnering with Greek life and other organizations to distribute compostable cups with messages reminding students to respect one another. They've ordered 26,000 cups so far.

IN BAR NEWS

The new owner of The Station is planning to hold "secret shows" with surprise performers. The shows will be quarterly and will begin once the place opens on April 7. Southern Rail is planning to return sometime in May or June.

IN RECOVERIES

Student Wellness estimates 400 UNC students are struggling with substance abuse right now. But UNC only really knows about the 50 who are enrolled in the Carolina Recovery Program. The program is funded by a pilot grant that UNC and five other state schools received.

IN UNC-SYSTEM NEWS

People still have concerns about guaranteed admissions – which will let students transfer to UNC schools after two years of community college. The Board of Governors just met to figure out how to best implement the program moving forward.