DTH at a Glance

T-minus eight newsletters until the end of this semester:

One of our staffers who has her life together (a rare breed) just compiled a list of recommended apps for surviving post-grad life. That said, Tinder isn't among them, and neither is FormSpring. So I can't vouch for how thorough of a list it really is.

But a solid suggestion of hers is Spending Log, which keeps track of your expenses based on categories like groceries, utilities and "groceries."

Spending apps can be super helpful, but they're also sort of judgmental and may or may not shame you for your spending habits at bars and Tex-Mex restaurants.

I may have deleted it after a week because I thought it was rude.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• A panel in the Student Union last night aimed to teach the UNC community to view disability as a form of diversity.
  • Since fall 2013, UNC has been checking in to make sure lectures actually meet, but they only stop by 8 to 12 percent of classes in each school.
  • I’d just like to pause and appreciate the fact that we’re in a University system in which it’s news when a Board of Governors meeting goes uninterrupted.
  • Orange County is rolling out a new sentencing option for juvenile misdemeanor offenders that would allow 16- and 17-year-olds to enroll in programs to get the help they need.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

Silent Sam now has his own website thanks to the work of University archivists. The site features a timeline of the Confederate statue from its proposal to current day. For my fellow visual learners, there are photos involved.

IN COURT

A UNC School of Government professor is starting a podcast about drunken driving. Shea Denning is an expert on motor vehicle laws, and she wants to interview people with DWI charges about how their sentencing affected them.

IN SATIRE

Our editorial board propositions NASA to send two senators to the surface of the sun. Not only would we learn what happens when you hurl things at the surface of the sun — we’d also be protecting our privacy rights.

IN RECOMMENDATIONS

For all the seniors who are about to graduate and face the crushing reality of the real world: Here are some apps to ease you into being an adult. You know your youth is officially being lowered into a casket when someone suggests you download Yelp.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide