DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: 'Cooking too loudly'

Every time I go home, I get crap for having attended UNC for almost seven semesters without figuring out the lottery system to even try to attend a basketball game — partly out of disinterest, mostly out of the notion that it wasn't worth the cost and effort. Today, I learned that everything is in fact a lie because I pay about $250 a year for athletics I've never watched IRL.

Reporter Logan Ulrich deserves serious credit here — he delved into a topic that combines what are quite possibly my two least favorite subjects in modern society (sports and math) and turned out a story that I actually sent to my parents and told them to read.

Someone get this man a Pulitzer.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Speaking of my sucking at math, Weaver Street Market is making it easier than ever for people like me to be charitable — asking customers to round up purchase totals to the nearest dollar to raise money for those in need.
  • Say hello to Maria Estorino, the new director of the Louis Round Wilson Library and associate University librarian for special collections. She'll start the job on Jan. 1.
  • UNC men's basketball dropped the first game of its season last night in a 76-67 loss to No. 13 Indiana.
  • If you're any bit as nosy and gossipy as I am, check out our weekday police blotter. Today's includes a noise complaint for someone cooking too loudly and larceny of $200 worth of cleaning supplies.

IN FINISHED PROJECTS

The blessed day has come — the construction on Rosemary Street is *finally* coming to a close. Special thanks to the workers who made it possible, all the local shops that saw business negatively affected and especially UNC's chapter of Phi Mu for unknowingly lending me its driveway to cut through to get to the DTH office at least twice a week for the past month.

IN HIV AWARENESS

Nearly 40,000 people were diagnosed with HIV in the U.S. last year. As we reflect on World AIDS Day, we should take note of North Carolina's rating as the No. 8 state for diagnoses in 2011 — and what measures we can all be pushing to stop new transmissions.

IN SURGICAL PRECISION

North Carolina has until March 15 to redraw its congressional districts. The order comes from a federal court ruling requiring a 2017 special election for the General Assembly to help rectify the state's racial gerrymandering. Republicans, who could potentially lose their super-majority in the state House and majority in the Senate, are not happy campers right now.