Lil John and "Turn Down For What?" help inspire youth voter turnout

How do you get youth voters to turn out on Nov. 4 to vote, particularly when they tend to have significantly lower participation rates during midterm elections than in a presidential year?

Rock the Vote has enlisted well-known rapper Lil John — and his multi-platinum hit song "Turn Down For What?"

Read More

Animals lend a paw to congressional candidates in campaign ads

Political candidates have to cut across the clutter of jingles, corporate slogans and forced hashtags that inundate viewers’ screens. A handful of political ads attempt to hold viewers attention with a hand — or paw — from the animal kingdom.

Read More

Economy tops priorities for American voters, but not in NC

As the 2014 midterm elections draw near, American voters are still hungry for economic progress and unhappy with Congress — but North Carolinians are taking a sharp interest in foreign policy.

A poll released Oct. 2 by the Associated Press and German research firm GfK Group showed that economic recovery topped the list of issues for Americans this election season, followed closely by national security.

Read More

NC relies heavily on income tax, sees lower state revenue

North Carolina is one of 10 states most reliant on income tax revenue, according to a recent report by Standard & Poor’s.

And it turns out the state has lost more income tax revenue than expected — a total of $675 million — from the General Assembly's cuts to the individual income tax in 2013.

Read More