Roy Williams reflects on conversation with George H.W. Bush after win Wednesday night

basketball vs uncw roy williams cb mcgrath
UNC Head Coach Roy Williams and UNCW Head Coach C. B. McGrath speak before tipoff in the Smith Center on Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018.

Wednesday marked a national day of mourning for the United States of America to honor the life and death of former President George H.W. Bush.

The 41st President of the United States died on Nov. 30 at 94 years old. A man respected across the political aisle, the former president touched many lives, including the life of North Carolina men's basketball head coach Roy Williams.

After UNC's 97-69 win over UNCW Wednesday night, Williams did not have much to say about his team's play in a somewhat sloppy win over former UNC assistant coach C.B. McGrath and the Seahawks. Williams answered a few questions before launching into a story about a phone conversation between him and the former president to conclude his press conference. 

"So I got on the phone and I said, 'President Bush, I apologize but I have this policy that nobody is important enough to make me stop meeting with one of my players, even the former President of the United States" Williams said. "He laughed, he said, 'I love that coach,' he said, 'Let me tell you, Jimmy Nance is the best name-dropper in the world. He's the one who told me to call you,' and I said, 'Good' and he said, 'Besides that, can I get two tickets for, I think it's for my granddaughter for the game on Sunday.'"

Williams said Bush told him he liked the fact Williams would not take calls while meeting with a former player.

"He was so gracious and understood, he said, 'I like that,'" Williams said.

Bush admitted to Williams he wished he could have done the same thing when he was president.

"I said, 'You're president, you could have done anything,'" Williams said.

With the last comment, Williams walked out of the room to end his press conference. On Thursday, Bush will be laid to rest in College Station at his presidential library next to his wife, Barbara Bush, and their 3-year-old daughter Robin, who passed away from leukemia.

@christrenkle2