Allison Riggs appointed to open spot on N.C. Supreme Court, replacing Michael Morgan

20220826_connors-dth-file-supreme-court-2.jpg

The N.C. Supreme Court sits in Raleigh on Aug. 26, 2022.

Allison Riggs, a state court of appeals judge and the former co-executive director at the Southern Coalition for Social Justice, was appointed to the N.C. Supreme Court by Gov. Roy Cooper this afternoon to replace outgoing justice Michael Morgan.

Riggs, a Democrat, was sworn into her spot on the N.C. Court of Appeals in February of this year after being appointed by Cooper, and was widely expected to be Cooper's choice for the spot on the supreme court after Morgan announced his retirement.

Her supreme court seat is up for election in 2024, and Jefferson Griffin, a Republican on the N.C. Court of Appeals, has already announced he will run for the seat. Before being appointed to the supreme court, Riggs was running to keep her seat on the court of appeals, which is also up for election in 2024.

"Today has been one of the most thrilling and humbling days of my life." Riggs said in a post on X. "I’m beyond grateful to (Cooper) for this honor and his faith in me. I’m so excited to serve my fellow North Carolinians on our state Supreme Court."

@ethanehorton1

Ethan E. Horton

Ethan E. Horton is the 2023-24 city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a city & state assistant editor and as the 2023 summer managing editor. Ethan is a senior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and political science, with a minor in history.