Former N.C. Supreme Court justice Michael Morgan running for governor

20220826_connors-dth-file-supreme-court-2.jpg

The N.C. Supreme Court sits in Raleigh on Aug. 26, 2022.

Michael Morgan, a Democrat who stepped down from the N.C. Supreme Court officially last week, is running for governor after publicly mulling a run.

Morgan joins the state's attorney general, Josh Stein, in the Democratic primary. Stein was endorsed by sitting Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper last week after Morgan announced he would be stepping down.

"As a devoted North Carolinian and a devoted Democrat, I am disappointed in the growing trend — even in my own party — of a few folks in power trying to select the people's leaders and determining our destinies," Morgan said in a press release announcing his candidacy. "I am committed to challenging the status quo that allows a few at the top to choose the winners and losers among us."

Morgan has spent 44 years as a state employee and 34 years as a judge, sitting in four different judgeships — more than any other person in North Carolina history.

Yesterday, Allison Riggs, a court of appeals judge, was appointed by Cooper to fill Morgan's spot on the state supreme court, and Carolyn Thompson was appointed to replace Riggs.

North Carolina's primaries for the next general election are scheduled for March 5, 2024.

@ethanehorton1

Ethan E. Horton

Ethan E. Horton is the 2023-24 city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a city & state assistant editor and as the 2023 summer managing editor. Ethan is a senior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and political science, with a minor in history.