DTH at a Glance

I'm planning a viking funeral for UNC-Secure if anyone's interested.

This morning, I started coming to terms with the end of UNC-Secure. Instead of one fond anecdote in particular — for there are far too many — I'll share a multitude of my precious memories. An ode to UNC-Secure:

When I was a freshman and it took the first two weeks of school to connect to the Wi-Fi.

When I left for fall break and came back and it took another week to connect again.

When finally, after two years, I found an open section of a class I wanted and the Wi-Fi kicked me off for the last five minutes of my registration period.

The estimated 10 days of my life I cumulatively spent waiting for "The Mindy Project" to buffer in my dorm.

When I used all my data two weeks into the month because I thought I was connected to Wi-Fi while I was aggressively Tindering.

Eduroam, you have some big shoes to fill.

QUICK HIT

• UNC's dentistry school held a holiday promoting service work in honor of Chapel Hill shooting victims Deah Barakat and Yusor Abu-Salha.
  • Chapel Hill is considering allowing bed-and-breakfasts, but some residents worry it'll heck with the town's aesthetic/historic integrity.
  • After 100 years of being open, Student Stores is weighing the costs and benefits of being bought out by a private company.
  • A Facebook community for twins has been gaining steam at UNC. They accept twins and anyone who's ever wanted a twin — so literally everyone.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

UNC's long-standing and beloved beacon of reliability and connectivity is dead. You heard it here probably second: UNC-Secure will die on Oct. 16. O, network, how you so often played hard to get. Look back with nostalgia, Tar Heels. Pour one out for UNC-Secure this weekend.

IN TOWN NEWS

Two Carrboro High students got solar panels installed on their school. Holly Gallagher and Jocelyn Buckley started working on a sustainability campaign last year and recently saw four solar panels installed. They're seniors in high school and have already accomplished more than I have in three years of college. Cool.

IN OUR OPINION

Kim Davis might be a joke, but the persisting homophobia she embodies definitely isn't. When we're having a little fun at her expense, we need to keep in mind that homophobia is still very real — and it affects your friends and classmates all the time.

Note: As my first byline for the year and first-ever opinion piece, this part of the newsletter is both #sincere and #shameless self-promotion.

IN THE BLOGS

This week's presidential campaign roundup includes everything you could want from the internet. From calls for revolution to #HotDebateGuy to not-Rick Perry — politics in real life are a lot less boring than those classes they require for the journalism major. Keep checking in at the end of every week for our regular campaign roundups.

If there are any low-key adulterous public figures subscribed to us: 1) Welcome! 2) You can take a page from the book of Michigan state Rep. Todd Courser and anonymously cyberbully yourself with affectionate nicknames like “bi-sexual porn addicted sex deviant." Works like a charm.