Reviewing the senior seasons of UNC men's basketball’s incoming recruiting class

20220615_connors_hubert-davis-presser-105.jpg
Hubert Davis speaks at a press conference on June 15, 2022 at the Smith Center.

North Carolina men's basketball coach Hubert Davis proved his abilities as a head coach during the Tar Heel’s electric run in the NCAA Tournament this past season, leading UNC to the national championship game after being unranked for the majority of the season. This upcoming season, Davis’ ability as a recruiter will be tested as his first recruiting class steps foot in the Dean E. Smith Center.

According to 247 Sports, UNC's 2022 recruiting class is ranked 15th in the country and third in the ACC, behind Duke and Virginia. The four players that make up that group — Seth Trimble, Tyler Nickel, Jalen Washington and Will Shaver — will look to provide more depth to last season’s shallow bench rotation.

Seth Trimble

Seth Trimble, a 6-foot-3 point guard from Menomonee Falls, Wis., comes in as the highest ranked recruit in the 2022 class. Although rising junior guards Caleb Love and RJ Davis are returning for the 2022-2023 season, Trimble will look to make an impact as a key reserve for backcourt depth. 

Trimble finished up his high school basketball season at Menomonee Falls with a 25-4 record and a run to the WIAA Division 1 state semifinals. The 4-star also set a new record for most points in school history, a record set by his older brother and former UNC forward, J.P. Tokoto.  

After leading his team to the state tournament for the first time in school history, Trimble was named Wisconsin's Gatorade boys basketball player of the year, AP state player of the year and Mr. Basketball. 

This week, Trimble, along with the class of 2023 recruit GG Jackson, represented Team USA and UNC basketball at the FIBA U18 Americas Championship in Tijuana, Mexico. Trimble averaged just under 10 points in six games and Team USA won gold. 

Tyler Nickel

Tyler Nickel rounded out the 2022 recruiting class as the last player to commit. 

Despite his 247 Sports 4-star status, Nickel lacks the national recognition some of the other players in his class have. At the state level, however, the 6-foot-8 power forward left his mark on the Virginia High School League record books after a standout senior campaign.

Nickel became VHSL’s all-time leading scorer in February, breaking the record set by Lakers guard Mac McClung. Nickel totaled 2,909 points in his high school career.

Following his senior season, Nickel was named VHSL Class 2 Player of the Year and 2021-2022 Daily News-Record All-Valley Boys Basketball Player of the Year.

Jalen Washington

When Jalen Washington was recruited in July 2021, he was considered a 5-star recruit. 

Over the same summer, he suffered partial tears in his ACL and lateral meniscus. Washington and his family opted for surgery to repair both injuries and Washington missed his senior season at West Side High School in Gary, Ind. Washington said that the UNC staff has been a huge help in navigating Washington’s injury to get him back in shape for the season to come.

Although Washington is now considered a 4-star, the 6-foot-9 center has the potential to fill in the role that Manek left behind, once he makes a full recovery.

Will Shaver

In June 2021, Will Shaver committed to UNC as the first high school commit of the Hubert Davis era. This past semester, Will Shaver enrolled early at UNC, foregoing his senior high school basketball season.

As a redshirt early enrollee, the 6-foot-10 forward from Birmingham, Ala., could practice and “suit up” for games, he just wasn’t able to play. However, Shaver got to travel and experience away games and the pressure of the NCAA Tournament. 

This fall, he will be considered a redshirt first-year with four years of eligibility. Shaver, a power forward with versatile ability as a shooter, is the type of big man Davis has coveted in his new offensive scheme.

@jenningslin_