DTH at a Glance

HI HELLO INTERNET!

Hi, everyone! I’m Kelsey, the online managing editor for The Daily Tar Heel. It’s my job to maintain the website, keep watch over social media and make sure our blogs are top notch.

Every once in a while I’ll give our community manager Danny, the usual correspondent, a day off from the newsletter so he can see some non-fluorescent light. I’m pretty nervous about doing this for the first time, but when I went to the bank today, a teller named Dave told me that I’m awesome. With Dave from State Employee’s Credit Union on my side, what can’t I do?

Remember that you can subscribe to breaking news and sports newsletters here as well. I know that Dave would want you to do it, and I am not in the business of letting him down.

QUICK HITS

• An excavation of UNC-system President Tom Ross' house that began last summer unearthed the ruins of a different president’s house. It involved some pretty cool stuff (if you’re into archaeology or own a pawn shop dedicated to UNC-system artifacts.)
  • Did you know there are 10 lactation rooms on campus?  Did you know that’s nowhere near enough? Clare Counihan proposed a plan to increase that number by 42.
  • There’s an app for Google Android smartphones that can identify when the individual user is at risk for disease. Does it make the front-facing camera suck less?

IN CAMPUS NEWS

Hundreds of graduate students and teaching assistants are missing insurance cards. They are legally covered by insurance, but they aren’t officially enrolled, so they have to cough up the money and wait to get reimbursed by Blue Cross and Blue Shield. That is, as you’d expect, tricky on a TA stipend.

IN CHAPEL HILL NEWS

The Chapel Hill area is saying yes to breasts. Breast-feeding moms can rest and feel #blessed because Chapel Hill and Carrboro will become two of the first cities in the country to receive the Breastfeeding-Family-Friendly City Designation.

IN ENTERTAINMENT

Have you ever wanted to role play as a rabbit trying to survive at the bottom of the food chain? A new big tabletop game called “The Warren” from Bully Pulpit Games will let you do just that. This is big news for the kid with the bunny footie pajamas in A Christmas Story.

IN SPORTS

Corbin Daly’s mom made him who he is. She taught him how to be a man, how to throw a football and how to pee standing up. He conquered a devastating injury with his mom by his side and was eventually ranked the No. 2 punter in the country. The redshirt freshman earned a scholarship on the UNC football team as starting punter, and if I were you, I would not cross him. Or his momma.

IN OUR OPINION

“Houston Summers feels like a TV dad. He even said ‘this stinks’ in a recent interview.” Read more of best gripes from the community this week here because the Kvetching Board is back.

Our editorial board says it would be a farce for Division I NCAA colleges to change their jersey policies. There’s a possibility we won’t be able to buy a jersey with Marcus Paige’s number on it anymore, and here is why we aren’t down with that.

IN THE BLOGS

Looking for some back-to-school advice that’s a solid week late? Our advice columnists have 10 tips for you. Err, eight. The list isn’t quite finished, but whatever. Neither is their homework. It’s senior year.

JOIN US. JOIN US. JOIN US.  Apply to work for the DTH as a reporter, photographer, designer, videographer or blogger before 5 p.m. on Aug. 31. Come hang out with me and 150 to 200 of my closest friends.