Everything The Daily Tar Heel has published about the 2024 primary elections

20221108_Rhyne_city-latino-elected-representation.jpg
A "Vote Here" sign is pictured outside one of the polling sites, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, in Chapel Hill on Tuesday, Nov. 8.

The Daily Tar Heel has covered a wide array of issues and produced dozens of stories on the 2024 primary elections

We've compiled these stories into one place. We'll update this page as we publish more stories on the elections. First and foremost, we published the information voters need to know to cast their vote and published a story about how voters are feeling on primary election day.

Results

• President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump, expected, won their primaries.
    • After Tuesday night's round of primary elections, Trump's sole competitor for the nomination, Nikki Haley, dropped out of the race — all but confirming a November rematch between Biden and Trump.
  • Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson and Attorney General Josh Stein each convincingly won their primaries, setting up a nationally watched, competitive showdown in the general election.
    • Robinson, who has often been widely criticized for his antisemitic, sexist and anti-LGBTQ+ comments, was recently endorsed by Trump. 
    • Robinson won about 65 percent of the statewide vote, winning every county. Stein won about 70 percent, only losing to former state supreme court justice Michael Morgan in three counties in the southeastern part of the state.
  • Rep. Jeff Jackson (D-N.C. 14th) won the Democratic primary for attorney general, defeating former Durham district attorney Satana Deberry and attorney Tim Dunn.
    • Jackson faced strong opposition from Deberry, who won 23 counties and more than 33 percent of the vote. Jackson, who currently serves as the congressman for much of Charlotte, won about 55 percent of the vote.
  • Incumbent state supreme court justice Allison Riggs defeated Lora Christine Cubbage in the Democratic primary for state supreme court by a 69-31 margin.
  • North Carolina's Council of State — outside of governor and attorney general — also had primary races on Tuesday.
    • The biggest surprise of the night came in the Republican primary for state superintendent of public instruction, where home-schooler Michelle Morrow defeated incumbent state superintendent Catherine Truitt by 5 percent of the vote. Morrow will face former Guilford County Schools superintendent Mo Green in the general.
  • Eric Blankenburg won the Republican primary for District 4 over his competitor, Mahesh Ganorkar, by a 70-30 margin. Blankenburg will face the heavily favored incumbent Rep. Valerie Foushee in the general.
  • Incumbents Carrie Doyle and Jennifer Moore and newcomer Wendy Padilla were elected in the hotly contested Orange County Schools Board of Education election.
    • Incumbent Bonnie Hauser lost her seat on the board.
  • Incumbent Phyllis Portie-Ascott won her Democratic primary race for district 2 of the Orange County Board of County Commissioners with 72 percent of the vote.

State-level primaries

• Before any candidates had filed to be on the ballot, back in November, voters in northeastern North Carolina filed a lawsuit against newly drawn state senate maps on racial gerrymandering grounds. The judge in the case denied a quick turnaround and a preliminary injunction, meaning a change in the districts before the general election in November is unlikely.
    • Two other lawsuits were filed on the new maps in the month after — one challenging just the state's new congressional maps and one challenging all of the new maps.
    • Another lawsuit, filed in January in state court — unlike the other litigation, which was filed in federal court — aims to establish a state constitutional right to fair elections.
  • Once candidates were on the ballot, we reached out to candidates to ask questions on some of the most interesting races on the state level.
    • In the treasurer's race, we interviewed Democratic primary candidates Gabe Esparza and Wesley Harris on their priorities and differing experience levels.
    • We also interviewed Allison Riggs and Lora Christine Cubbage, who are running for the Democratic nomination for a state supreme court seat.
    • In the state's attorney general race, we talked to the top two candidates in the Democratic primary — Jeff Jackson and Satana Deberry — about their visions for how to use the role. Jackson, a congressman for the state's 14th District, was drawn out of his seat in the latest redistricting cycle.
      • The winner of that race will face Rep. Dan Bishop (R-NC 8th) in the general election in November.
  • In the race for governor, we overviewed the first round of campaign finance reports that came out last month.
  • When Nikki Haley held a rally in downtown Raleigh on Saturday, we covered the event.

Local elections

• One of the two Orange County Board of County Commissioners' district 2 seats is up for election, and three candidates are running in the Democratic primary for the seat.
    • Three other BOCC seats are also up for election, but none of the races had more than one person from either party run.
  • Outside groups and PACs have gotten involved in the Orange County Schools Board of Education race — and one of those groups is the Friends of OCS. We wrote a story about their endorsements and the controversy around them.

@ethanehorton1

Ethan E. Horton

Ethan E. Horton is the 2023-24 city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a city & state assistant editor and as the 2023 summer managing editor. Ethan is a senior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and political science, with a minor in history.